COVID-19 and Social Distancing Volunteer Opportunities
Seasonal Volunteer Opportunities
- Read for the Record Book Labeling - group opportunity
- Volunteer Readers for Read for the Record - individual opportunity, multiple locations available
- Gift Card Collection (in place of hygiene drive)- individual or group opportunity
- I Love to Read Month (February)
- Hygiene Drive Collection - individual or group opportunity
- Hygiene Drive Sorting and Distributing - individual or group opportunity
- Community Impact Grant Review Panelist - must apply
- Wild About Reading Assistants - individual opportunity
- Born Learning Trail Painting - individual or group opportunity
- Stuff the Bus Collection Site - group opportunity
- Stuff the Bus Sorting and Distributing - individual or group opportunity, multiple shifts available
- Little Red Bookshelf Shelf Stocker - individual or family opportunity, multiple locations available
- Various fundraising committees
Community Partner Volunteer Opportunities
Food Distribution Event-Second Harvest Heartland, United Community Action Partnership
WHEN: Tuesday, March 16, 2021
WHERE: Lyon County Fairgrounds-Marshall
TIME: 3:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Prairie Five Community Action Council Opportunity in Canby
TIME: 11:00 am – 11:45 am
WHO: People who have access to transportation and can lift up to 15 lbs. People can reserve one day per week, twice per month or an entire week. We will try to accommodate everyone’s schedules.
Currently, the participants receive a week’s worth of frozen meals on Mondays. We would like to transition to delivering daily hot meals to participants in Canby. The meals will be sealed in disposable individual trays and placed in transport bags. The volunteers will receive the route that they can follow. These meals are important to keeping the older adults safe in their own home.
Contact Erick Hedman at 320-269-6578 or email at email@example.com.
Big Buddies of United Community Action Partnership
- Contact Shelly Castaneda at 507-537-1416 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
Kitchen Table Food Shelves of United Community Action Partnership
Looking for food shelf volunteers. Volunteers do a wide variety of duties at the food shelf, including sorting/organizing food, picking up food from local stores, or assisting food shelf attendees with their shopping.
- Contact Lori Lerohl at 507-537-1416 or email@example.com for more information
Junior Achievement of Lyon County
Looking for Junior Achievement volunteers. Share your personal and professional experiences and skills with students in the community and help them make the connection between what they are learning in school and what they will need to succeed and work in life. Junior Achievement provides the training, curriculum, and a classroom ready to meet you!
- Contact Christine Fischer at 507-537-7386 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
Volunteers help pack food bags taht are sent home with students on weekends. Please sign up for our mailing list on our website to be notified of volunteer opportunities or contact us via one of the other ways below.
- Go to https://www.MarshallFood4Kids.org/; call or text 507-401-5544; email Coordinator@MarshallFood4Kids.org; or go to www.facebook.com/MarshallFood4Kids
ServeMinnesota Reading Corps
Looking for reading tutors to help kids become successful readers and learners. Tutors work one-on-one or in small groups with students during school hours.