Wild About Reading: STEM Videos
STEM Class #1: Make Your Own Play Dough
1 cup flour Step 1. - Put flour and salt in a mixing bowl
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp water Step 2. - Add water to flour and salt mixture
1/3 cup salt Step 3. - Add oil to mixture and mix all together
1 tbsp oil Step 4. - When the batter is soft and not sticky anymore, divide it into desired number of lumps
3-5 drops food coloring (optional) Step 5. - Add food coloring and essential oil to each lump
2 drops essential oils or vanilla extract (optional) Step 6. - Knead play dough **You may need to add more flour.
1 tsp cream of tartar (optional)
STEM Class #2: Build a Boat Challenge
Build Your Own Boat Challenge!
We want to see what type of boat you create using materials from around your house! Have a grown-up post a photo in the comments, or email email@example.com, and we'll have you stop by our office to pick out a free book!
We can't wait to see what you create. Let us know if it floats or sinks!
STEM Class #3: Ice Cream in a Bag
- 1 pint-size zip-type plastic bag Step 1. - Fill large bag half full of ice
- 1 gallon-size zip-type plastic bag Step 2. - Add the salt to the ice and seal the bag
- ice (to fill gallon bag 1/2 full) Step 3. - Put milk, vanilla, & sugar into the small bag and seal the bag
- 6 tbsp salt Step 4. - Place the small bag inside the large one and seal again carefully
- 1/2 c milk Step 5. - Shake until mixture is ice cream, about 3 minutes
- 1 tbsp sugar Step 6. - Wipe off top of small bag, then open carefully and enjoy
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
Making the ice cream in plastic bags allows the children to observe the process of the liquid changing to a solid.