Instead of doing our regular Wild About Reading events during the summer of 2021, we prepared over 375 Fun in the Sun activity kits that were distributed to families by many of our local libraries. The kits were geared to families with pre-school to kindergarten aged children.
Our goal in creating these kits was to provide a starting point for family activities that are fun, educational and engaging. Based on the feedback we received, that's exactly what happened!
Following is a list of items that were included in the kit, as well as some suggestions on using them to have fun in the sun!
- Chicken on Vacation book: Read the book and focus on the characters’ imagination, adventure, friendship, etc. Create your own adventure!
- Sidewalk chalk: Create an artistic masterpiece or a simple game of hopscotch on sidewalks, driveways and other concrete surfaces.
- Sand castle frames: Decorate these to frame a fun summertime memory. Maybe take a picture with your sidewalk art!
- Foldable flying discs: Use for summer outdoor activities to build up your body, exercise your child’s focus and build physical coordination.
- Scavenger hunt cards and dry erase pen: Use these as starting points for exploring the outdoors.
- Small kick balls: These are fun to kick, toss and juggle!
- Farm animal activity cards: Mix these up and take turns picking one to act out.
Kits were made available on a first come first served basis. Libraries in the following towns throughout our service area distributed kits to their patrons:
- Granite Falls
- Lake Benton