United Way of Southwest Minnesota (UWSWMN) coordinated a personal hygiene drive to benefit area food shelves, crisis/domestic violence programs, homelessness programs, etc. in conjunction with United Acts of Kindness Week (November 6th-10th). Over 5,400 personal hygiene items were distributed to Kitchen Table Food Shelves, The Refuge Homelessness Program, Women’s Rural Advocacy Program, New Horizon’s Crisis Center, Tyler Food Shelf, Marshall Area Technical Education Center, Open Door Health Center and Neighbor’s United Food Shelf.
Several UWSWMN Board Members and volunteers from Schwan’s Company spent time sorting, counting, and packing the items. Thank you to our volunteers for spending valuable time helping with this endeavor!
Special thanks to Christ United Presbyterian Church, North Star Mutual Insurance Company, Hope Harbor - Marshall Location, Johnson Family Dental Care, Smile Designers - Michael R. Thomas DDS & Associates, Bremer Bank, Duke Energy- Canby, Avera Marshall, Southwest Health and Human Services, Lyon County Attorney’s Office, Archer Daniels Midland and SWWC Service Cooperative for collecting donations on behalf of United Way of Southwest Minnesota! Your generosity will make a big difference for folks in southwest Minnesota! Thank you as well to community members who collected and dropped off additional items.
Personal hygiene items are an on-going need. We will continue to accept/collect items on an ongoing basis. Only brand new; unopened items will be accepted.
CONTINUE ACTS OF KINDNESS THROUGHOUT THE YEAR!
We are asking that you don’t just wear the shirt, but LIVE IT. United Acts of Kindness week was a chance to spread kindness throughout the state. We ask that you continue to do ACTS OF KINDNESS for others throughout the year. Imagine if we were all UNITED in showing kindness to one another all year long. That’s the LIVE UNITED effect.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE - UNITED ACTS OF KINDNESS:
1. GET IT-Order LIVE UNITED t-shirts quickly and easily here.
2. WEAR IT-Wear your t-shirt while doing Acts of Kindness.
3. LIVE IT-Don’t just wear the shirt… LIVE IT! Show our community how to LIVE UNITED by performing ACTS OF KINDNESS for a person in your workplace, neighborhood, school, family, group of friends or community.
4. CAPTURE IT-Snap pictures and/or take video of you performing your ACTS OF KINDNESS or an ACT OF KINDESS that you received or experienced. (Awwww)
5. SHARE IT-Share it on social media with #LIVEUNITEDMN and #UWSWMN. Don’t forget to e-mail your photo or video to firstname.lastname@example.org. Remember to tag us on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
*You don’t need a shirt to participate in ACTS of KINDESS; however, they are cute and help spread the message!
HOW TO GET LIVE UNITED T-SHIRTS:
Don’t have a LIVE UNITED t-shirt? No Problem!
T-shirts are available on our website for just $10, with a portion from each shirt being invested back in United Way of Southwest Minnesota! Order on our website by clicking here.
Additional options and larger orders can be placed through the United Way Store by clicking here.